The following information was sent out via e-blast to SOCSD families on August 10, 2017:
Dear South Orangetown families,
Please read the following messages regarding important deadlines and requirements for the coming school year.
- TODAY, August 10: TZHS Community Blood Drive until 8pm in the TZHS Auditorium
- This week: Transportation Office mails bus cards and information
- Monday, August 14: Fall Sports Physicals (information below)
- Week of August 14: WOS, CLE & SOMS mail back-to-school packets, including teacher assignments/student schedules (TZHS TBD)
- Thursday, August 24: WOS Bus Orientation for Kindergartners & New Entrants (click to go to WOS Back to School page for details)
- Monday, August 28: SOMS Locker Day for Sixth-Graders (click to go to SOMS Back to School page for details)
- Tuesday, August 29: RegisterMyAthlete.com closes at 5pm for fall modified sports registration (click to go to the Athletics page for details)
- Wednesday, August 30: WOS Kindergarten Teacher Meet & Greet (click to go to WOS Back to School page for details)
- Tuesday, September 5: First Day of School
Back-to-School Mailings & Information (All schools)
Links to back-to-school information are posted on our school homepages:
- WOS: http://blogs.socsd.org/wos/
- CLE: http://blogs.socsd.org/cle/
- SOMS: http://blogs.socsd.org/soms/
- TZHS: http://blogs.socsd.org/tzhs/
Information will continue to be added to these pages and to our Google calendars throughout the summer. Please see “Upcoming Dates” section above for back-to-school mailing dates.
Free & Reduced Price Meal Applications Now Available (All schools)
Click here to go to the Food Service webpage for 2017-18 free and reduced price meal applications.
School & Sports Physical Requirements (All schools)
New York State mandates that all students who are new to the school district, as well as every student entering grades K, 2, 4, 7 and 10, have a current physical exam (performed within the past 12 months). Click here to go to the district For Parents web page; health forms are posted under the “Forms” section.
Athletes may receive a sports physical through the district on Monday, August 14, 9am-11am in the College Room at Tappan Zee High School. For information regarding sports physicals and fall sports registration (Grades 7-12), click here to view the Athletics web page.
Immunization Requirement for Incoming Students in Grades 7 & 12 (SOMS & TZHS)
As of September 1, 2016, all public and private school students entering grades 7 and 12 in New York State must be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school. The meningococcal vaccine, which is administered as a shot, protects against serious and sometimes deadly diseases, such as meningitis and sepsis. Before school starts in September:
- One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required before 7th grade. If your child had the first dose as a sixth-grader, then another dose is not required until 12th grade.
- A total of two doses will be required before 12th grade. Most students entering 12th grade got their first dose when they were younger and are now due for their second dose, or booster. This booster is needed because protection from the vaccine decreases over time.
- The only teens who will not need a second dose before 12th grade are those who got their first dose on or after their 16th birthday.
- A small number of students who received two doses before their 16th birthday may need a third dose on or after their 16th birthday in order to enter 12th grade.
It’s best to check with your doctor to see whether or not your child needs the vaccine. Students who are not up-to-date will not be allowed to attend school until they are vaccinated.
Now Registering: Fall Driver’s Education and ACT/SAT Review Courses
For information about these courses, as well as a sneak peek of the Fall 2017 Continuing Education catalog, click here to go to the Continuing Education webpage.
Message From ARAMARK: We’re Hiring
Openings are now available with ARAMARK for food service workers in the South Orangetown Central School District. Join the friendly team preparing and serving healthy, delicious meals to our communities children. Call (845) 680-1118 to schedule an interview.