Tappan Zee High School’s Science Olympiad team placed 10th overall and medaled in eight events at the Lower Hudson Valley Science Olympiad Regional Competition at Byram Hills High School on Saturday! Forty-eight teams participated in the highly-competitive regional contest.
Congratulations to our medalists:
- Nika Colley and Katrina Lupi, 1st Place, Write It, Do It
- Hannah Lustig and Fiona Donovan, 2nd Place, Herpetology
- Deev Patel and Kevin Huang, 5th Place, Fermi Questions
- Nika Colley and Hannah Lustig, 5th Place, Fossils
- Alex Gottlieb and Hrutvik Bhavsar, 7th Place, Boomilever
- Kevin Huang and Hrutvik Bhavsar, 7th Place, Chem Lab
- Alex Gottlieb and Deev Patel, 9th Place, Wright Stuff
- Peter Wu and Andrew Lee, 10th Place, Codebusters
“Science Olympiad is a great way for students to demonstrate their knowledge and creativity in STEM fields. They have the opportunity to collaborate with peers and explore different events of interest from building to racing to fossils and herpetology,” notes TZHS science teacher Kaitlynn Connington, who coaches the Science Olympiad team with fellow science teacher Brian Adler. “We couldn’t be more proud of our students for putting in the time and effort that they have this past season. Their dedication and hard work shined through at the award ceremony. We hope to continue our team’s success by recruiting more students with a passion for science!”
Nearly all of this weekend’s medalists got their start on the South Orangetown Middle School Science Olympiad team. SOMS students interested in astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, building and/or coding are encouraged to check out the SOMS Science Olympiad team, which meets after school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Room 186.
Rising ninth-graders and current freshmen, sophomores and juniors with a passion for science and engineering should reach out to Ms. Connington and Mr. Adler for information about joining the TZHS Science Olympiad team. More photos on Facebook!