At its April 11 meeting, the Board of Education adopted the 2019-20 school budget, which totals $94,755,161 and reflects a 3.2% budget-to-budget increase and a 3.72% tax levy increase. The tax levy increase remains within the cap due to the increase in the consumer price index and capital exclusions. “This year, as we reviewed program and operational needs for 2019-2020 and beyond, we looked for opportunities to fill in gaps and tie key short-term goals with our long-term strategic plan,” says Superintendent of Schools Dr. Robert Pritchard. “A key piece of this effort has been reimagining how to utilize our current staff more effectively and leveraging efficiencies found elsewhere to create new positions to address emerging needs.”
Specifically, the proposed 2019-20 school budget includes:
- The creation of prevention centers at South Orangetown Middle School and Tappan Zee High School, each staffed by a dedicated prevention counselor to provide enhanced supports for students and their families;
- The addition of one elementary school counselor to serve students at both William O. Schaefer Elementary School and Cottage Lane Elementary School;
- The addition of a Director of Safety, Security and Compliance focused on student and staff safety;
- The addition of a Coordinator of Data, Assessment and Accountability to inform data-driven decision-making and meet reporting requirements; and,
- More classroom redesigns to promote innovative and collaborative teaching and learning.
“The budget adopted by our Board of Education will support SOCSD in meeting the academic, social and emotional needs of students, complying with state and federal regulations, and making program enhancements,” Dr. Pritchard notes. “It reflects both a more creative approach to utilizing our limited resources for maximum long-term impact and our commitment to minimizing the burden on our taxpayers.”
The South Orangetown Central School District’s annual school budget vote and Board of Education elections will be held on Tuesday, May 21, 7:00am-9:00pm.
Upcoming public events:
- Superintendent Dr. Robert Pritchard and Finance & Management Services Executive Director Ms. Alicia Koster will present the budget at the April 16 joint SOCES-SOMS PTA Meeting in the SOMS Library at 7:00pm. All are welcome to attend.
- The Board of Education will host its public budget hearing on Tuesday, May 7 at 7:30pm in the South Orangetown Middle School Library. Community members may ask questions regarding the budget at this meeting.
For additional budget information, go to www.socsd.org/budget.
Questions about the budget? Email [email protected].