Back to School
Get Ready for the 2018-19 School Year!
Back to School Information Posted
Buttons linked to back to school information are posted on our school homepages. Links to summer reading/assignments and supply lists are posted on these pages, as well. Access back to school information directly via the links below:
- WOS: http://blogs.socsd.org/wos/back-to-school/
- CLE: http://blogs.socsd.org/cle/back-to-school/
- SOMS: http://blogs.socsd.org/soms/back-to-school/
- TZHS: http://blogs.socsd.org/tzhs/back-to-school/
Free & Reduced-Price School Meals
SOCSD believes that offering healthy meals on school days is one of the most important ways in which we can help our students. Families who may qualify are encouraged to apply for free or reduced-price meals.
- Application for Free & Reduced Price School Meals
- Aplicación para Comidas Gratis o a Precio Reducido
- Application for Free & Reduced Price Meals – Other Languages
School Physical Requirements
As of July 1, 2018, New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades.
Please read the following requirements carefully:
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form or one from your physician.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time. The school nurse can provide you with a list of dentists and registered dental hygienists who offer dental services on a free or reduced cost basis upon request.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of that date.
Links to the NYSED Student Health Examination Form and dental certificate are posted on the For Parents page of our school district website, under Forms.
Communication between private and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Your healthcare provider may not share health information with school health staff without your signed permission. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.
Parents are encouraged to make copies of the completed forms for their own records before sending them to the School Nurse’s Office. Forms may be faxed to the appropriate school:
William O. Schaefer Elementary School: Riva Fisher, RN
Tel: 845-680-1304 | Fax: 845-680-1920
Cottage Lane Elementary School: Karen Fitzgibbons, RN
Tel: 845-680-1508 | Fax: 845-680-1957
South Orangetown Middle School: Margaret Keane, RN
Tel: 845-680-1130 | Fax: 845-680-1911
Tappan Zee High School: Patricia Shalvey, RN
Tel: 845-680-1647 | Fax: 845-680-1960
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.
Alternate Site Request Deadline
Monday, July 30
Need busing to or from a location other than your child’s registered address? An Alternate Site Request Form must be completed and submitted to the Transportation Office. Requests received after the July 30 deadline will take effect after the first two weeks of school.
Bus Passes Delivered
Friday, August 3
If you haven’t received your child’s bus pass, contact the Transportation Department at [email protected] or (845) 680-1662 / (845) 680-1663.
Fall High School Sports Registration Ends
Monday, August 6
Registration for fall high school sports ends Monday, August 6. Modified sports registration continues until Wednesday, September 5. Register at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.
Fall High School Sports Tryouts Begin
Monday, August 13
Tryouts for all sports, except the following, begin August 13: Cross Country (start: August 20); Tennis (start: August 20), Volleyball (start: August 20) and Swimming (August 27).
TZHS Back to School Information Mailed
Week of August 13
WOS Kindergarten Class Assignments Mailed
SOMS Back to School Information Mailed
Wednesday, August 15
Fall Sports Physicals
Thursday, August 16
Sports physicals will be administered in the TZHS Nurse’s Office, 8:30-10:00am only.
WOS Kindergarten Bus Orientation
Thursday, August 23
Times assigned according to child’s last name:
- 9:00-9:30am: A-H
- 9:45-10:15am: I-Q
- 10:30-11:00am: R-Z
WOS & CLE Grades 1-5 Class Assignments Mailed
Thursday, August 23
SOMS Grade 6 Locker Day
Monday, August 27
All incoming sixth-graders and their parents are cordially invited to come set up their lockers, meet the school counselors and say hello to Interim Principal Dr. Chad Corey, Interim Assistant Principal Mr. Joseph Onativia and Student Support Mr. Michael Ryan. When you receive your schedule in mid-August, please review it carefully. The first letter of the student’s last name will determine what time his/her session begins. Please arrive on time and park in the Erie Street parking lot. Last name beginning with:
- 9:00-9:30am: A-H
- 9:45-10:15am: I-P
- 10:30-11:00am: Q-Z
Students are encouraged to bring their school-issued locks and practice using them. Locks may also be purchased for $5.00 by checks payable to SOCSD only. The inside of lockers may be decorated/organized at this time. SOMS PTA representatives will be on-site selling locker organizers, accepting orders for Spirit Clothing and registering new members.
WOS Kindergarten Meet & Greet
Wednesday, August 29
Incoming kindergarten students and their parent(s)/guardian(s) are invited to meet their teachers and classmates at William O. Schaefer Elementary School! Times are assigned according to teacher (student teacher assignments will be included in the August 15 mailing to kindergarten families):
- 10:00-10:45am: Healy, Kolesar, Rega & Sheehy
- 11:00-11:45am: Coughlin, Gallagher & Widmayer
- 12:00-12:45pm: Grillo, Rispoli & Savarese
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Tuesday, September 4
Fall Modified Sports Registration Ends
Wednesday, September 5
Modified athletes may register online at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.