Back to School
Welcome to the 2023-24 School Year!
First day of school is Tuesday, September 5
Buttons linked to back to school information, including summer reading resources, are posted on our school homepages and can be accessed directly via the links below:
- WOS: https://blogs.socsd.org/wos/back-to-school/
- CLE: https://blogs.socsd.org/cle/back-to-school
- SOMS: https://blogs.socsd.org/soms/back-to-school/
- TZHS: https://blogs.socsd.org/tzhs/back-to-school/
Our District uses a variety of tools to communicate with our families, staff and community:
- ParentSquare: This mass messaging system is used to share important information regarding school programs, services and news. Parents/guardians of current students and staff are automatically subscribed at the start of each school year, but may customize their accounts. Not receiving emails from your child’s school or from the District? Contact your child’s school directly.
- Google Calendars: School events, holidays, Board of Education meetings and other key dates are posted on our District and school Google calendars, which are displayed on the District and building homepages. For information on how to subscribe to updates and sync calendars with mobile devices, view the Google Calendar Quick Reference.
- Web and Social Media:
- Web: www.socsd.org
- Facebook: @SouthOrangetownCSD | @SOCSDFEC | @TZHSCounseling
- Instagram: @SouthOrangetownCSD | @Tappan_Zee_HS | @soms_strong | @CottageLaneES | @WOSnews | @TZeeAthletics
- YouTube: SOCSD Communications | SOCSD Events | TZHS Counseling
- Twitter: @SouthOrangetown | @Tappan_Zee_HS | @SOMS_News | @CottageLaneES | @WOSnews | @TZeeAthletics
- Apply now for free and reduced-price school meals. Enrollment is confidential and enables eligible students to: receive waivers for college application fees, qualify for AP exam fee reductions, take a limited number of SAT exams for free and more. There is no deadline to apply: Families may apply at any time of the year.
- School breakfast and lunch menus will be posted at https://www.fdmealplanner.com/#SOCSD. Payments for school meals and AP exam fees are made through the MySchoolBucks online payment system. For details and instructions, visit http://www.socsd.org/food-service/.
School Physical Requirements
New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Physicals completed within 365 days prior to the first day of school are acceptable.
Please contact your child’s healthcare provider to schedule your child’s health examination and required vaccinations. Remember to sign consent forms allowing your provider to speak with school health staff at the time of your child’s examination.
Please read the following requirements carefully:
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you. New York State requires that all physical examinations be documented on the NYSED Student Health Examination Form or its electronic health record equivalent. No other forms are acceptable.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of the exam date.
Parents are encouraged to make copies of the completed forms for their own records before sending them to the School Nurse’s Office. Forms may be faxed to the appropriate school:
WOS: Riva Fisher, RN | Tel: 845-680-1304 | Fax: 845-680-1920
CLE: Karen Fitzgibbons, RN | Tel: 845-680-1508 | Fax: 845-680-1957
SOMS: Margaret Keane, RN | Tel: 845-680-1130 | Fax: 845-680-1911
TZHS: Patricia Shalvey, RN | Tel: 845-680-1647 | Fax: 845-680-1960
Proof of up-to-date immunizations must be submitted prior to the start of school; this includes kindergartners, new students, and students already enrolled, for continued attendance. View information regarding New York State Vaccination Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance: English | Español.
The Rockland County Department of Health offers immunization and medical clinics for children ages 5-18 and adults, including those who are uninsured, underinsured or on Medicaid. For information or to make an appointment, call (845) 364-2497. Details are posted on the NYS Department of Health website.
- If busing to or from an alternate site is needed, be sure to submit the Alternate Site Request Form (English| Español) by July 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Alternate Site Request Form must be completed and submitted each year that a student requires transportation to or from an alternate site.
- William O. Schaefer Elementary School parents/guardians: All SOCSD students in grades K-2 are required to have an adult with them when they board the school bus each morning and get off the bus in the afternoon. WOS students will be released only to adults listed on the Bus Designee Form which must be submitted by August 15 to email@example.com. View the WOS Bus Designee Form (English | Español).
If families have not received their children’s bus assignments for the 2023-24 school year by August 30, contact the Transportation Office at (845) 680-1662 or (845) 680-1663.
Alternate Site Transportation Request Form Deadline
Thursday, July 15
Fall High School Sports Registration & APP Process Opens
Monday, July 24
Register at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.
Fall Modified Sports Registration Opens
Sunday, August 7
Register at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.
Fall APP Letter of Interest Deadline
Thursday, August 10
WOS Bus Designee Form Deadline
Tuesday, August 15
FEC Incoming Kindergarten Playgroup
Wednesday, August 16 | 11AM-12PM
WOS Pirate Playground
Fall APP Physical Testing
Wednesday, August 16 | 5PM
Administered at the TZHS track
Fall High School Sports Begin
Monday, August 21
SOMS Grade 6 Locker Day
Monday, August 28
Bus Passes Delivered
Week of August 28
WOS K-2 Meet & Greet
Wednesday, August 30
CLE New Families Meet & Greet
Wednesday, August 30 | 2PM
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Tuesday, September 5
Fall Modified Sports Begin
Tuesday, September 5