Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy & Security
Pursuant to Section 2-c and 2-d of the Education Law, parents and students are entitled to certain protections regarding confidential student information. The District is committed to safeguarding personally identifiable information from unauthorized access or disclosure as set forth below:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes;
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record;
- The District is committed to implementing safeguards associated with industry standards and best practice under state and federal laws protecting the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection when data is stored or transferred;
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review online at http://www.nysed.gov/student-data-privacy/schools/data-elements-collected or by writing to: Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department – Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be made in writing to: South Orangetown Central School District, Attn: District Clerk, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913;
- The District has entered into contracts with certain third party contractors who have been sent student data and/or teacher data and/or principal data. The following information is required by law:
- The names of the third party contractors, the exclusive purpose(s) for which the data will be used;
- The commencement and termination dates of each such agreement;
- A description of how the data will be disposed by the contract when the contract purpose has been fulfilled;
- The data storage and security measures undertaken
- Agreements with third party contractors will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities that the third part contractor will share the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements;
- A parent, student eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected by filing a written request with the Superintendent of Schools or the District Clerk: South Orangetown Central School District, Attn: District Clerk, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913.