Transportation Department Responsibilities
Transportation for the South Orangetown Central School District is overseen by the Transportation Coordinator and Principal Clerk. Department responsibilities include:
- Implement and carry out policies of the Board of Education consistent with legal requirements and Education Law
- Inspect the credentials of all bus drivers in relation to driver’s license, physical examinations, and moral character before certifying the driver to the Superintendent of Schools for approval
- Maintain records of the department such as inventories, cost analysis, time keeping, payroll, other correspondence, etc. and submit records as required
- Establish all bus schedules and assignments; participate in special transportation studies and safety programs. Review all accident reports.
- Develop bus lists of children eligible for district transportation
- Coordinate with the school administration transportation for special events, including field trips, interscholastic athletics, etc.
- Prepare the district’s transportation budget
- Communicate transportation procedures and regulations to the public
- Work with school administration and other personnel to provide a coordinated transportation program