At its June 5 Academic Awards Ceremony, Tappan Zee High School celebrated freshmen, sophomores and juniors who placed in the top 20 percent of their respective classes, based on weighted rankings, for the first three quarters of the school year.
Assistant Principal Juliet Gevargis-Mizimakoski welcomed guests and led the ceremony, which featured a performance by the TZHS Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Music Teacher Jonathan Rossi. Social Studies Teacher Stephen Sherman delivered the keynote address. School Counseling Team Leader Richard Weissberg and School Counselors Laura Ferrante and Randy Altman presented certificates of achievement to students as they filed onto the stage.
In addition, awards were presented to the following juniors:
- University of Rochester Bausch & Lomb Award for outstanding academic achievement and superior intellectual promise in the field of science: Reilly Stiefel
- University of Rochester Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Award for a junior who is outstanding in the fields of humanities and social science: Declan O’Boy
- University of Rochester George Eastman Young Leadership Award for outstanding leadership and academic achievement: Lucy Barsanti
- University of Rochester Xerox Award for Innovation and Information Technology for demonstrated keen interest and exemplary skills in information technology: Nicholas Byrne
- George Washington University Engineering & Applied Science Award for outstanding achievement in mathematics and science: Jason Olszewski
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Award for outstanding achievement in math and science: Hannah Ahn
- Rochester Institute of Technology Computing Medal and Scholarship Award for academic distinction, demonstrated leadership in school or community activities and excellence in the field of computing: Shane Cawley and Meaghan Sheridan
- Rochester Institute of Technology Creativity and Innovation Award for juniors who have distinguished themselves academically, is an active and involved member of their school and community and demonstrated outstanding achievement in innovation, creativity or entrepreneurship: Nicholas Cabrera and Colette Guy
- Edward Hopper House Award for a junior who demonstrates artistic curiosity through their individual self-expression, style and unique creativity: Viancha Antonucci
- Tulane University Book Award for a junior who demonstrates excellence in academics, leadership and public service: William Grippi
Seniors who earned a weighted average of 90% or higher through the third quarter of the 2018-19 school year will be recognized at the Senior Awards Ceremony on June 10.