Sent via e-blast to SOCSD families on August 2, 2019:
The 2019-20 print calendar is on its way! The proof is viewable online here. Schools are currently updating their Google Calendars.
- Monday, August 5: Modified Fall Sports Registration opens. Register online via Sportz Ventures. (High school sports registration is open now through August 26.)
- Tuesday, August 20: Fall Sports Physicals at TZHS, 9-11AM
- Thursday, August 15: SOMS Back to School Information (including schedules) Mailed
- Tuesday, August 20: WOS Kindergarten Class Assignments Mailed
- Thursday, August 22: WOS & CLE Grades 1-5 Class Assignments Mailed
- Thursday, August 22: WOS Bus Orientation for Kindergartners & New Entrants. Families are invited to attend at times corresponding to the first initial of their child’s last name:
- 9:00-9:30AM: A-H
- 9:45-10:15AM: I-Q
- 10:30-11:00am: R-Z.
- Monday, August 26: SOMS Locker Day for Sixth-Graders
- Monday, August 26: TZHS Grade 9 Schedules Released in the Powerschool Portal
- Tuesday, August 27: TZHS Grades 10-12 Schedules Released in the Powerschool Portal
- Wednesday, August 28: WOS Meet & Greet and Ice Cream Social for Kindergarten and Mrs. Durcan’s bridge class times are as follows:
- 10:00AM: Coughlin, Sheehy, Gallagher & New Hire
- 11:00AM: Rega/Ferzola, Grillo & Rispoli
- 12:00PM: Widmayer/Ehardt, Kolesar & Savarese
- 1:00PM Durcan
- Wednesday, September 4: First Day of School
Apply for Free and Reduced Meals: SOCSD believes that one of the most important ways that we can support our students is by providing them with the nutrition needed to grow healthy minds and bodies. If you believe that your child may be eligible for reduced-price or free school meals, click here to go to the Food Service webpage for information.
Need Back-to-School Help? SOCSD understands that getting ready for a new school year may be particularly stressful for families who are struggling financially. If your family needs help with securing back-to-school necessities for your children, please contact Executive Director of Pupil Personnel Services Dr. Karen Tesik at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 680-1025.
Summer Reading/Assignments and K-8 Supply Lists:
- WOS: Summer Reading | K-2 Supply Lists
- CLE: Summer Reading | 3-5 Supply Lists
- SOMS: Summer Reading | 6-8 Supply Lists
- TZHS: Summer Reading | Summer Assignments
Health Exams: New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades.
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form or one from your physician.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of the exam date.
- Links to the NYSED Student Health Examination Form and dental certificate are posted on the For Parents page at www.socsd.org/for-parents, under Forms.
Virtual High School: SOMS and TZHS students interested in pursuing an academic course of study not available in their buildings may do so online through VHS at no cost to their families. View the VHS course list here. (Additional courses may be available to SOMS students; see the Virtual High School website.) Courses begin September 5. To register, email Ms. Jacobs (TZHS | email@example.com) or Mr. Yassky (SOMS | firstname.lastname@example.org).
Fall Continuing Education: Registration is now open for our Fall 2019 Continuing Education programs! In addition to ACT/SAT prep and Driver’s Education, SOCSD offers a variety of courses which promote lifelong learning and personal enrichment for community members of all ages. View the catalog online here.