This update was sent via SchoolMessenger e-blast to families at 4PM on August 9, 2019
- Thursday, August 15: SOMS Back to School Information (including schedules) Mailed
- Monday, August 19: Fall High School Sports Begin
- Tuesday, August 20: Fall Sports Physicals at TZHS, 9-11AM
- Tuesday, August 20: WOS Kindergarten Class Assignments Mailed
- Thursday, August 22: WOS & CLE Grades 1-5 Class Assignments Mailed
- Thursday, August 22: WOS Bus Orientation for Kindergartners & New Entrants. Families are invited to attend at times corresponding to the first initial of their child’s last name:
- 9:00-9:30AM: A-H
- 9:45-10:15AM: I-Q
- 10:30-11:00am: R-Z.
- Monday, August 26: SOMS Locker Day for Sixth-Graders. All incoming sixth-graders and their parents are cordially invited to come set up their lockers, meet the school counselors and say hello to Principal Dr. Chad Corey and Assistant Principal Mr. Joseph Onativia. Students are encouraged to bring their school-issued locks and practice using it. Locks may also be purchased for $5.00 by checks payable to SOCSD only. The inside of lockers may be decorated/organized at this time. SOMS PTA representatives will be on-site selling locker organizers, accepting orders for Spirit Clothing and registering new members.The first letter of the student’s last name will determine what time his/her session begins. Please arrive on time and park in the Erie Street parking lot. Last name beginning with:
- 9:00-9:30am: A through H
- 9:45-10:15am: I through P
- 10:30-11:00am: Q through Z
- Monday, August 26: TZHS Grade 9 Schedules Released in the Powerschool Portal
- Tuesday, August 27: TZHS Grades 10-12 Schedules Released in the Powerschool Portal
- Wednesday, August 28: WOS Meet & Greet and Ice Cream Social for Kindergarten and Mrs. Durcan’s bridge class times are as follows:
- 10:00AM: Coughlin, Sheehy, Gallagher & New Hire
- 11:00AM: Rega/Ferzola, Grillo & Rispoli
- 12:00PM: Widmayer/Ehardt, Kolesar & Savarese
- 1:00PM Durcan
- Wednesday, September 4: First Day of School
- Thursday, September 5: Fall Modified Sports Begin
Print Calendars Delivered This Week: Please check your 2019-20 print calendars carefully. Roughly two dozen households have let us know that they’ve received misprinted copies that contain missing or duplicate pages. If you’ve received a misprinted copy, please email Jen Citrolo at [email protected] to arrange for pickup or mailing of a replacement.
Apply for Free and Reduced Meals: SOCSD believes that one of the most important ways that we can support our students is by providing them with the nutrition needed to grow healthy minds and bodies. Breakfast and lunch are served in our buildings every full day of school If you believe that your child may be eligible for reduced-price or free school meals, please click here to go to the Food Service webpage for 2019-20 free and reduced-price meal information and application.
Need Back to School Help? SOCSD understands that getting ready for a new school year may be particularly stressful for families who are struggling financially. If your family needs help with securing back-to-school necessities for your children, please contact Executive Director of Pupil Personnel Services Dr. Karen Tesik at [email protected] or (845) 680-1025.
Back to School Information: Our schools have begun posting back to school information online. Links to are posted on each school home page:
- WOS: http://blogs.socsd.org/wos/
- CLE: http://blogs.socsd.org/cle/
- SOMS: http://blogs.socsd.org/soms/
- TZHS: http://blogs.socsd.org/tzhs/
Back to School pages also include links to summer reading/assignments.
Fall Sports Registration: Online registration is open for all modified and high school sports. Register your athletes at https://socsd.powermediallc.org/. High school sports registration ends August 26 and modified registration ends September 12.
2019-20 School Physical Requirements: New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades.
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form or one from your physician.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts school and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during the school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the School Nurse’s Office of the exam date.
- Links to the NYSED Student Health Examination Form and dental certificate are posted on the For Parents page at www.socsd.org/for-parents, under Forms.
Meningococcal Immunization Requirement (Grades 7 & 12): As of September 1, 2016, all public and private school students entering grades 7 and 12 in New York State must be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school. The meningococcal vaccine, which is administered as a shot, protects against serious and sometimes deadly diseases, such as meningitis and sepsis. Before school starts in September:
- One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required before 7th grade. If your child had the first dose as a sixth-grader, then another dose is not required until 12th grade.
- A total of two doses will be required before 12th grade. Most students entering 12th grade got their first dose when they were younger and are now due for their second dose, or booster. This booster is needed because protection from the vaccine decreases over time.
- The only teens who will not need a second dose before 12th grade are those who got their first dose on or after their 16th birthday.
- A small number of students who received two doses before their 16th birthday may need a third dose on or after their 16th birthday in order to enter 12th grade.
It’s best to check with your doctor to see whether or not your child needs the vaccine. Students who are not up-to-date will not be allowed to attend school until they are vaccinated.
Virtual High School: Registration is now open for 2019-2020 Virtual High School courses. South Orangetown Middle School and Tappan Zee High School students interested in pursuing an academic course of study not available in their buildings may do so online through VHS at no cost to their families. The web-based courses are rigorous and deadline-driven, with homework assignments on a weekly or more frequent basis. High school level classes are listed on student transcripts and grades are included in grade point average calculations.
- View the VHS course list here. (Additional courses may be available to SOMS students; see the “Virtual High School” link in first line, above.)
- Full-year courses begin September 5, 2019 and end May 8, 2020. Fall semester courses begin September 5, 2019 and end December 18, 2019.
- To register or for more information, TZHS students should email Ms. Jacobs ([email protected]) and SOMS students should email Mr. Yassky ([email protected]).
Register Now for Fall Driver’s Ed, ACT and SAT Review and Other Continuing Education: Registration is now open for our Fall 2019 Continuing Education programs! In addition to ACT/SAT prep and Driver’s Education, SOCSD offers a variety of courses which promote lifelong learning and personal enrichment for community members of all ages. View the catalog online here.