The South Orangetown Central School District welcomes Whitsons as its new food service contractor! “Providing healthy meals and snacks is an important component of our district’s whole-child approach and helps to ensure that our students have the nutrition they need to grow and learn,” says Executive Director for Finance and Management Services Alicia Koster. “Whitsons has an excellent national reputation for delivering high-quality school meals prepared with fresh and locally-sourced ingredients.”
Whitsons offers appealing, age-appropriate menu items with increasingly more options for middle and high school, as students mature and learn to make healthier choices. Locally-sourced produce comes from New York State farm partners, which include Hudson River Fruit (Milton), Goodness Gardens (New Hampton), Martin Sidor Farms (Cutchogue), O&R Produce Farm (Goshen), Pavero Fruit (Milton), Satur Farms (Cutchogue) and Yonder Farms (Valatie).
- Breakfast muffins will be available at both the elementary and secondary levels;
- Grab and go entree salads will be offered daily at all schools;
- Yogurt-based fruit smoothies will be served once a week at all schools;
- Larger slices of pizza will be served at SOMS and TZHS at no additional cost;
- Meat-free menu choices available each week as part of Meatless Monday, a science-based initiative associated with Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
- In addition to the school-specific menu Google Calendars, downloadable menus will be posted on the Food Service page in both English and Spanish;
- …and at TZHS, there will be extended snack service in the cafeteria between 2:00-3:30PM daily!
And while the vendor has changed, the meal payment process remains the same: Families will still be able to pay for and monitor their children’s food purchases through MyPaymentsPlus.
Also unchanged are the friendly faces behind the counter; Whitsons has hired all the hard-working food service workers who were employed by the district’s previous vendor–and added a position at William O. Schaefer Elementary School.