Fall Sports Registration and Season Start Dates
Updated August 11, 2022
- High school fall season sports begin Monday, August 22
- Online registration via Sportz Ventures opens July 22, as per New York State rules (within 30 days of season start).
- All student-athletes must be cleared by the school nurses once they are registered before they may participate in tryouts or practice. To ensure that student-athletes who wish to participate in high school fall sports are cleared in time for the start of the fall season on August 22, registration via Sportz Ventures must be completed by Wednesday, August 17 at 5PM. Those who complete registration after 5PM on August 17 may not be cleared in time for tryouts. Student-athletes are responsible for checking their clearance status in the Sportz Ventures portal to confirm that they have been cleared before tryouts begin on August 22.
- For sports teams that have roster limitations (Cheerleading, Girls Tennis, Soccer and Volleyball), student-athletes must be in attendance for tryouts, which begin August 22
- For sports teams without roster limitations (Cross Country, Football and Girls Swimming only), students must notify their coaches if they are unable to attend practices, which begin August 22, as there are practice requirements for participating in competition
- Middle school (modified) fall season sports start September 7
- Online registration via Sportz Ventures will open on August 7 as per New York State rules (within 30 days of season start)
- Students in grades 7 and 8 are eligible to participate
Advanced Placement Process for Middle School Athletes
Middle school students who wish to try out for high school level sports must follow the state-mandated Advanced Placement Process (APP). These students should register via Sportz Ventures during the high school sports registration period and an email of interest must be sent to Athletic Director Bill Pilla (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating the intent to go through the APP process by August 10. The JV and Varsity coach for the sport must be copied on the email; coach names and email addresses are posted on the Team Info page of the Athletics website. A high school coach recommendation may be required.
Student-athletes who pursue the Advanced Placement Process are required to participate in physical fitness testing. APP physical fitness testing will take place on August 17 and August 18 at 5PM on the Tappan Zee High School track.
NOTE: APP completion only guarantees a tryout and not placement on the team. APP applicants who do not make a high school team can still play at the modified level. Middle school students chosen at the high school level should receive significant playing time; selection is not made to fill a roster. The intent of the APP is to appropriately place a student-athlete based on their competitive level.
Following are the fall sports offered through our District:
- Boys Soccer: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Boys Cross Country: Modified and Varsity
- Cheerleading: JV and Varsity
- Football: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Girls Cross Country: Modified and Varsity
- Girls Soccer: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Girls Swimming & Diving: Modified and Varsity
- Girls Tennis: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Volleyball: Modified, JV & Varsity
Questions? Please contact Director of Physical Education, Health and Athletics Bill Pilla via email (email@example.com) or phone (845-680-1640).