Annual Budget Vote
The Annual Budget Vote and Board of Education Election is Tuesday, May 15, 2018. For voting information, including polling sites and absentee ballots, click here to go to the Voting Information webpage.
At its April 12 meeting, the Board of Education adopted the 2018-19 school budget, which totals $91,817,017 and reflects a 3.2% budget-to-budget increase and a 3.7% tax levy increase. The tax levy increase remains within the cap as a result of the rising consumer price index and capital exclusions, which reflect a year-over-year change in capital spending from budgeted funds, but does not include spending from capital reserves or fund balance.
Also on the ballot is a proposition regarding the renewal of the Dominican College lease of the former Orangeburg Elementary School. Proposition #2 asks voters to authorize the Board of Education to enter into lease agreements for up to 50 years, in 10-year intervals.
Upcoming Public Events
- Superintendent Dr. Robert Pritchard and School Business Administrator Ms. Sandra Winkler will present the budget at the April 24 joint SOCES-SOMS PTA Meeting in the South Orangetown Middle School Library at 7:45pm. All are welcome to attend.
- The Board of Education will host its public budget hearing on Thursday, May 3 at 7:30pm in the South Orangetown Middle School Library. Community members may ask questions regarding the budget and Proposition #2 at this meeting.
2018-19 Budget Materials
- Administrative Compensation Information
- Assessor’s Exemption Report
- Property Tax Report Card
- Proposed Budget: Public Budget Book
- Six-Day Notice
- April 24 PTA Budget Presentation (revised)
Questions? Email [email protected].
Board of Education Elections
An election will also be held for one Board of Education vacancy. Board of Education members serve unpaid, three-year terms. The term for this vacancy is July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2021. Following are the candidates’ names in the order they will appear on the ballot, based on a random selection process administered by the District Clerk on April 17: Thomas Henry and Tiffany Sturdivant-Morrison.
The South Orangetown Council PTA will be hosting a Candidates Forum on Wednesday, May 2 at 8:00pm in the Tappan Zee High School Library. Community members are invited to meet the candidates and ask questions.
Questions regarding the Board of Education Elections? Please contact District Clerk Kathy Muscari at [email protected] or (845) 680-1012.