Google Calendar Quick Reference
The South Orangetown Central School District uses Google Calendars to post information about events, meetings and holiday breaks. Google Calendar allows users to create personal calendars, add school calendars, sync calendars to desktop and mobile devices receive event update notifications and reminders and sign-up for daily agenda emails.
For best results, use the Google Chrome browser. Click here to download for free.
Create a personal Google Calendar
To get started, you’ll need to:
- Create a free Gmail account.
- Once you have created a Gmail account, go to Google Calendar. Sign in with your Gmail address and password to create your personal Google Calendar.
For information and help with setting up your personal Google Calendar, visit the Support page.
Add a school calendar to your personal Google Calendar
Follow the steps below to add the District or a school calendar to your personal Google Calendar. Simply repeat to add other calendars.
- Go to your child’s school home page and scroll down to the calendar.
- Click on the “+ Google Calendar” icon at the bottom right corner of the calendar.
- Enter your Gmail address and password to sign in to Google.
- The school calendar will be added to your personal Google Calendar and updates, including date changes and newly-added events, will appear automatically.
Looking for a specific event? Learn how to Search in Google Calendar.
Receive event reminders and calendar update notifications
Email reminders and notifications are free. However, your mobile network carrier’s standard rates may apply for SMS reminders and notifications. Contact your mobile network carrier to find out whether rates apply.
To choose reminder and notification settings:
- Login to Google Calendars
- In the calendar list on the left, move your mouse over the calendar you wish to receive notifications for, click the drop-down arrow that appears next to it, and select Edit notifications. (OR, click the drop-down arrow next to My calendars or Other calendars, choose Settings, then click the Edit notifications link next to the appropriate calendar.)
- In the Event notifications section, select the reminder method from the drop-down menu and enter the corresponding reminder time (between five minutes and four weeks). To add multiple default reminders, click Add a reminder.
- Choose to be notified about specific calendar activities by checking Email or SMS in the Choose how you would like to be kept up-to-date section.
- Once you’ve made changes to your default settings, click Save.
Receive a daily schedule of events
Daily Agenda emails are sent at approximately 5 AM local time*.
To receive Daily Agenda emails:
- Login to Google Calendars
- In the calendar list on the left, move your mouse over the calendar for which you wish to receive a daily agenda, click the drop-down arrow button that appears next to it and select Edit notifications.
- Go to the Choose how you would like to be notified and click on the Email check box next to Daily agenda.
- Click Save.
*To ensure that calendar times are accurate, check your personal Google Calendar time zone settings. Click on the gear icon at the upper right corner of the screen, then click Settings. Make sure that “Eastern Time” is selected for Your current time zone.