Fall Sports Registration and Season Start Dates
Updated August 3, 2023
- High school JV and Varsity Football season begin August 19; all other high school fall season sports begin August 21.
- Online registration via Sportz Ventures opens July 24, as per New York State rules (within 30 days of season start).
- For sports teams that have roster limitations (Cheerleading, Girls Tennis, Soccer and Volleyball), student-athletes must be in attendance for tryouts, which begin August 21
- For sports teams without roster limitations (Cross Country, Football and Girls Swimming only), students must notify their coaches if they are unable to attend practices, which begin August 21, as there are practice requirements for participating in competition
- Practices and contests for high school sports are held six days per week
- Middle school (modified) fall season sports start September 5
- Online registration via Sportz Ventures will open on August 7 as per New York State rules (within 30 days of season start)
- Students in grades 7 and 8 are eligible to participate
- Practices and contests for modified sports are held five days per week (Monday-Friday)
Advanced Placement Process (APP) for Middle School AthletesSportz Ventures during the high school sports registration period and an email of interest must be sent to Athletic Director Bill Pilla (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating the intent to go through the APP process by August 10. The JV and Varsity coach for the sport must be copied on the email; coach names and email addresses are posted on the Team Info page of the Athletics website. A high school coach recommendation is required.Middle school students who wish to try out for high school level sports must follow the state-mandated Advanced Placement Process (APP). These students should register via
Student-athletes who pursue the Advanced Placement Process are required to participate in physical fitness testing. APP physical fitness testing will take place on August 16 at 5PM on the Tappan Zee High School track.
NOTE: APP completion only guarantees a tryout and not placement on the team. APP applicants who do not make a high school team can still play at the modified level. Middle school students chosen at the high school level should receive significant playing time; selection is not made to fill a roster. The intent of the APP is to appropriately place a student-athlete based on their competitive level.
Following are the fall sports offered through our District:
- Boys Soccer: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Boys Cross Country: Modified and Varsity (no roster limitations)
- Boys Volleyball: JV and Varsity (tentative)
- Football: Modified, JV and Varsity (no roster limitations)
- Girls Cross Country: Modified and Varsity (no roster limitations)
- Girls Soccer: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Girls Swimming & Diving: Modified and Varsity (no roster limitations)
- Girls Tennis: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Girls Volleyball: Modified, JV and Varsity
- Sideline Cheerleading: JV and Varsity
Questions? Please contact Director of Physical Education, Health and Athletics Bill Pilla via email (email@example.com) or phone (845-680-1640).