Board of Education
In a rapidly changing world, the South Orangetown school community affirms its positive vision of the future by providing a safe and caring environment where the excitement of teaching and learning is shared by all, and where we encourage and nurture the uniqueness of each child.
Through diverse and challenging programs, we promote high academic standards, creative and critical thinking, self-respect and respect for others, and acceptance of our responsibilities in a global society.
We are committed to fostering a love of learning in our students.
As a legal arm of the government of the State of New York, our Board of Education is responsible for:
- Affirming a shared vision for the school district
- Establishing district goals and setting priorities
- Overseeing the general operation of the district (including educational programs, public relations, facilities and contracts)
- Setting educational policy
- Adopting and maintaining current policies in written format
- Approving and adopting the annual budget
- Hiring and evaluating the Superintendent
- Approving the appointment of all personnel and related collective bargaining agreements/contracts
- Deciding on the best utilization of resources
- Setting high standards of governance
- Meeting all requirements of New York State law