Universal PreK and Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten
Have you seen our mailer for South Orangetown families with children ages 1-4? View it here.
Applications for 2023-24 Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) and Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten programs open January 27!
- Early childhood programs with qualified teachers at local preschools, including Red Owl Academy, Children’s Corner, Good Shepherd and Nauraushaun Nursery School.
- Children attend two-and-a-half (UPK) or five hours (full-day), Monday through Friday, during the school year.
- NO COST for families.
- South Orangetown families with children who will turn four years old by December 1, 2023 are eligible to apply for the 2023-24 school year. (Children must be born between December 1, 2018 and December 1, 2019.)
UPK and Statewide Full Day Pre-Kindergarten are special early childhood programs established by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and school districts to provide an early learning experience for the children of eligible families.
STEP 2: Once your child has been registered online, submit copies of the following required documents via email (email@example.com) or mail (UPK Registration, South Orangetown Central School District, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913):
Proof of Age Eligibility:
- A duly certified transcript of a birth certificate filed according to the law, or a duly certified transcript of a record of baptism, giving the date of birth; OR, if not available,
- A passport showing the date of birth of the minor; OR, if not available,
- Other documentary evidence or other recorded evidence in existence two years or more, and satisfactory to the certification officer, except an affidavit of age.
Proof of Residency:
- Two (2) of the following documents with parent/guardian name and address listed are requested:
- Homeowners: Mortgage papers, town/school tax bills or copy of the deed
- Renters: Copy of a signed lease agreement
- Current bank statement, tax bill, utility bill or credit card bill. (NOTE: Handwritten envelopes, magazine covers, termination notice for utility bills and income tax returns cannot be accepted as proof of residency.)
Once the completed online registration and proof of age/residency requirements has been received, families will be contacted for interviews, which will be held starting Tuesday, February 21, through Friday, March 31. Please note that family interviews are required. The purpose of this interview is to meet with you and your child, review eligibility requirements, complete additional paperwork for your child’s registration file, to confirm your provider selections and answer questions and/or concerns you may have. All interviews will be conducted by Lynnette Stallone in the District’s Curriculum & Instruction Office at 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913.
Families must bring the following documents with them to their interview:
- Health Examination Form (to be completed by child’s physician an returned to our office as soon as possible)***
1. If applicable, please provide any healthcare plan for your child’s medical needs.
2. If you don’t have a current immunization schedule to provide, you need to submit a letter from your child’s physician stating any medical reasons for not having a completed immunization report.
- Parent/Legal guardian’s driver’s license or government-issued identification
- Emergent Multilingual Learners Language Profile (English | Spanish)
- Home Language Questionnaire (English | Spanish)
- Free and Reduced School Meals Application (English | Spanish)
- Student’s most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), if applicable
- Custody papers, if applicable (copy of the original custody papers are necessary in cases of divorce or remarriage). If you are not the parent/legal guardian of a child you wish to register, we will require valid custody papers with all necessary information.
- UPK Provider Selection Form for the 2023-24 school year (English|Spanish).
Applications received or postmarked after March 31, 2023 will be placed on a wait list unless additional openings become available.
The South Orangetown Central School District will review completed applications and verify eligibility.
- SOCSD has 70 Universal Pre-Kindergarten seats (2.5 hours of instruction) for the 2023-24 school year. The eligibility for Universal Pre-Kindergarten is based upon age only. Should the number of requests received exceed the number of seats that NYSED has funded for Universal Pre-Kindergarten, a lottery will be used to select applicants for the District.
- SOCSD has an additional 30 seats for Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten (5 hours of instruction) for the 2023-24 school year. Should the number of requests received exceed the number of seats that NYSED has funded for Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten, a lottery will be used to select applicants for the District.
If the number of requests exceed seats available, a completed application, proof of age eligibility and proof of residency must be on file by March 31, 2023, to be considered for either lottery. Children who receive either a Universal Pre-Kindergarten or Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten seat will be placed according to parent choice, if possible.
Parents/guardians will be notified of the status of their child’s application via mail once selections/assignments have been made (late May to early June 2023).
Parent Information Session
Thursday, February 2, 6PM
William O. Schaefer Elementary School
View the presentation slides
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction