The South Orangetown Central School District PTAs partner with parents, teachers, administrators and support staff to enrich students’ school experience and encourage life-long learning, as well as advocate for sound education policy on a national, state, local, and district level. South Orangetown Council PTA is the link between the national, state and regional PTA and our PTA units; the link between the district’s Board of Education, central office administration, and our units for K-12 district-wide matters; and, the coordinating body for our three PTA units:
- South Orangetown Community Elementary Schools (SOCES) PTA
- South Orangetown Middle School (SOMS) PTA
- Tappan Zee High School (TZHS) PTSA
Please note that these are not official district sites and are not managed or monitored by South Orangetown Central School District.
Wednesday Update: April 25, 2018
Council PTA Meeting, Information Session & BOE Candidates Night
Wednesday, May 2 | 7:00-9:00pm
- 7:00-7:30pm: Information session – What is Council PTA, and why should I be involved? Council PTA is the group that coordinates PTA activity across the three units and looks a the “big picture” for our students. Questions about state and federal education policies, district policies and processes, and advocacy are discussed. Units discuss their goals, coordinating events and programming. Council also helps provide training, guidance, and leadership development for others interested in taking on a bigger role in PTA.
- 7:30-7:55pm: Council will conduct any required or necessary business.
- 8:00-9:00pm: BOE Candidates Forum – Meet Tom Henry and Tiffany Sturdivant-Morrison, candidates for the one open seat (being vacated by Ken Malpeli). Candidates will discuss their thoughts and goals for the district, followed by an audience question and answer session.
- Today is the last day to order spring Spirit Wear! Be sure to visit www.allspiritwear.net to check out new designs for the spring! Orders can be placed online until today, April 25, and will be delivered to child’s classroom in May.
- CLE School Store open this Friday! April 27 will be our first sale for Mother’s Day! Students can purchase a gift and will receive a free greeting card.
- WOS Parent Recycling Program: During the month of May, WOS parents are invited to come to lunch to help children sort their lunch trays and determine what is trash and what is recyclable. Maximum of two (2) parents per day. Parents must sign up here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b3eFb4wm9NCOEOah9dtIXppBLGHf3AYskaw2qrk_xLE
- Last call for Cottage Lane Field Day Tees: Online ordering for Field Day shirts will end this week (April 27). Visit www.allspiritwear.net and select “Cottage Lane” to view and order shirts. Please email [email protected] with questions.
- SOCES Gives Back: Throughout the month of April, we will be collecting used (good condition) sporting equipment. Balls, bats, cleats, dance shoes, leotards, sticks, helmets etc. Donations will be delivered to Martin Luther King Center in Spring Valley.
- Save the Date: SOCES’s Got Talent! Show is May 3 at 6:00pm at CLE.
- Rockland Boulders Baseball: SOCES Family Fun Night! Tickets are on sale now for June 16, 6:30-9:30pm. Tickets are $15 per person and include a free Boulders baseball hat! Contact Kelly at [email protected] for additional info. Purchase tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/william-o-schaeffer-cottage-lane-pta-night-at-the-rockland-boulders-tickets-44379134185.
- ATTENTION 5TH GRADE PARENTS: Please return the Locker Organizer order form to your CLE Teacher by May 18. Forms may be downloaded at: http://somspta.org/lockerworks-locker-organizers/. Organizers will be available for pick-up at Locker Day in August.
- SOMS PTA is organizing a Staff Appreciation Luncheon for all SOMS Staff on Monday, April 30. If you’d like to donate, please sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b45aaa92aa0f85-soms. Would you like to volunteer to set up the lunch or have other questions? Contact [email protected]. Thank you for your continued support!
- The SOMS PTA Nominating Committee’s search is on for next year’s SOMS PTA Officers, including President, Vice President(s), Secretary and Treasurer. If you’d like to run for any of these positions, send an email to Lisa Connolly at [email protected] by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, May 9. Please note: Although the SOMS Nominating Committee has to publish the slate of officers they recruited by April 24, nominations from the floor can challenge the candidates running/chosen by the nominating committee. However, all nominations must be submitted by May 9 so that SOMS PTA has time to create ballots in time for the May 14 vote, if needed. For details, go to somspta.org/soms-pta-nominating-committee/.
- FREE SHIPPING until April 30 for orders placed with the new SOMS PTA online Spirit Wear store! 12 Designs! Over 70 clothing items and products! Year-round ordering! Delivery directly to your home! BONUS: Free shipping on all ONLINE orders placed by April 30. Place your online orders here: www.somsspiritwear.com. More info and a downloadable order form available at: somspta.org/spirit-wear/
- Interested in volunteering with SOMS PTA? Send an email to [email protected]. Don’t forget to join SOMS PTA; annual dues help support our middle school students. Online registration is available, or you can print a form and return to the SOMS Main Office. Go to www.somspta.org for registration, dates and details. Thank you for your support!
- The TZHS PTA Nominating Committee is conducting its search for next year’s officers, including President, Vice President(s), Secretary and Treasurer. If you’d like more information on any of the officer positions, please contact Maureen Schroder at [email protected].
- Support Tappan Zee High School’s Project Graduation ’18, a supervised, substance-free, all-night party for graduates on June 21! To make this celebration a memorable occasion, we need your support and financial backing. Last year’s celebration cost approximately $12,000. There are three ways that you may contribute: tax-deductible donations payable to “TZHS/PTSA Project Graduation ’18,” food or prize donations, and volunteering. Information on how you can help is posted on the TZHS PTSA website at http://www.tzhsptsa.org/projectgraduation/.
- It’s not too late to join the Tappan Zee High School PTSA! Interested in volunteering? Send an email to [email protected]. Don’t forget to join PTSA; annual dues help us support TZHS students. Online registration is available or you can print a form and return to the TZHS Main Office. For membership information, go to: http://www.tzhsptsa.org/membership/.