The South Orangetown Central School District PTAs partner with parents, teachers, administrators and support staff to enrich students’ school experience and encourage life-long learning, as well as advocate for sound education policy on a national, state, local, and district level. South Orangetown Council PTA is the link between the national, state and regional PTA and our PTA units; the link between the district’s Board of Education, central office administration, and our units for K-12 district-wide matters; and, the coordinating body for our three PTA units:
- South Orangetown Community Elementary Schools (SOCES) PTA
- South Orangetown Middle School (SOMS) PTA
- Tappan Zee High School (TZHS) PTSA
Please note that these are not official district sites and are not managed or monitored by South Orangetown Central School District.
Wednesday Update: October 18, 2017
- SOCES gives back: SOCKTOBER! This October, we have partnered with WOS to help collect new & warm socks. We want to prove that even the smallest act of caring, like donating a pair of new socks, can help make a huge difference in the lives of our neighbors whom are in need. A collection bin is set up at the main entrance of WOS. Donations will be accepted until 10/31.
- Register for the REFLECTIONS contest! Registration is now open for the annual Reflections competition in art, dance, music, literature, photography and film. This year’s theme is “Within Reach.” See the WOS or CLE Main Office for the registration form or click the following link: http://socespta.webs.com/2017-2018-reflections. Deadline to enter is October 20 and submissions are due by November 17.
- Boo Bingo: Please join us on Friday, October 27 at 6:30pm in the CLE gym for some ghoulishly good fun!! Admission is FREE. This event is only open to SOCSD families and has a occupancy limit of 200. Donations of baked goods are needed. We will be accepting donations on 10/27 at CLE. Please contact [email protected] with questions.
- Author visit at Cottage Lane! Yesterday, Nancy Krulik visited grades 3-5 at CLE. Nancy is the author of more than 200 books for children and young adults and has has three New York Times bestsellers. Her work includes favorites like Katie Kazoo, George Brown Class Clown & Magic Bone.
- Thank you to everyone who came out for our October PTA meeting last week: We had a great turnout & covered many topics. If you would like to view the minutes from any of our meetings please visit our website at www.socespta.org.
- William O. Schaefer Elementary School Field Trip payments are due! Please visit www.socespta.organd follow the PayPal link to pay. If you have any questions, email WOS field trip coordinator Brenda Boysa at [email protected].
- 2017-2018 SOCES PTA membership drive: Please visit this link to join SOCES PTA online or send payment in an envelope to the the school’s main office (make checks out to SOCES PTA). Also “like” us on Facebook — South Orangetown Community Elementary Schools PTA — for updates on events. Our goal this year is 100% parent enrollment. Membership is $12 per person. Parents, caregivers, staff and teachers are encouraged to sign up. Your contribution will support the PTA in achieving its goal of building bridges in our community to empower our children to succeed. Thank you for helping us meet our goals for 2017-2018! Any questions in regards to PTA membership, please reach out to [email protected].
- Clip & Collect Box Tops: SOCES PTA collects box tops year round at WOS and CLE. Place your box tops in a zip lock bag or envelope and send to school in your child’s backpack. If you submit 2 or 200, you are assisting the PTA to bring quality programs and supplies for the children of South Orangetown. Please remember they can expire, so don’t hold them at home for too long!
- Save the Date: WOS Book Fair is December 14 & 15.
- Registration for Saturday’s Zombie Run has been extended! The first 100 people to register receive a limited edition “Zombie Run” T-Shirt. All proceeds support assemblies and cultural arts programs for South Orangetown Middle School students. More info here: http://somspta.org/uncategorized/zombie-run-registration-extended/. The Zombie Run is Saturday, October 21 at 9am, South Orangetown Middle School. Please park in the Erie Street lot.
- Zombie Run volunteers needed! SOMS PTA is recruiting volunteers high school age and up to help out with Saturday’s Zombie Run. Students will receive community service hours. Interested? Please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12kwqiz3nmfEQxvdVGlNnEEtk58eVwZ_za8MloSrKKZA/edit#gid=0.
- The theme for this year’s SOMS PTA Reflections Program is “Within Reach”: Students may choose from any of the following categories: Dance, Film, Literature, Music, Photography, Visual Arts. Registration is due by October 20 and submissions are due by November 17. For more info: http://somspta.org/events/reflections-program/.
- The next SOMS PTA meeting is Tuesday, October 24 at 7:30pm in the SOMS Library: Kurt Wickham, Director of SOCSD Transportation will be the guest speaker. AND the SOMS Library Book Fair will be open from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, in conjunction with the PTA meeting.
- NEW TO SOMS: Jets vs. Panthers on Saturday, November 26 at MetLife Stadium! Tickets are $60 per person and include a Jets winter hat and photo opportunity on the Jets bench. Orders due by November 8. More information at: http://somspta.org/fundraising/jets-vs-panthers-game/.
- SOMS PTA is prepping for another year filled with events and meaningful parent meetings and workshops! Interested in volunteering? Send an email to [email protected]. Don’t forget to join SOMS PTA; annual dues help support our middle school students. Online registration is available, or you can print a form and return to the SOMS Main Office. Go to www.somspta.org for registration, dates and details. Thank you for your support!
- FREE Youth Mental Health First Aid Training: On Saturday, November 4, from 8:30am-4:30pm, SOMS PTA, SOCASA, and Wellcore will host a FREE 8-hour training session designed to give parents, caregivers, community members, and other concerned citizens the tools needed to assist a youth experiencing an emotional or mental crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid teaches a 5-step action plan to offer initial help and connect them with appropriate care. Space is limited to 30 spots. Please see the flyer for complete information and the registration form here: http://somspta.org/events/youth-mental-health-first-aid-training-program/.
- Join us for an unforgettable evening of friends, fundraising and fine art! Glass painting class on Monday, October 30, 6:30-8:30pm at the Knights of Columbus, 150 W. Erie Street, Blauvelt. $45 per person, includes light snack. Space is limited; reserve your seat today. For more information or to register, go to the link posted at the top of our homepage: http://www.tzhsptsa.org.
- Register for the REFLECTIONS contest! Registration is now open for the annual Reflections competition in art, dance, music, literature, photography and film. This year’s theme is “Within Reach.” See the School Counseling Office for the registration form. Deadline to enter is October 20 and submissions are due by November 17.
- TZHS PTSA is very excited to partner with Yankee Candle Fundraising! We hope to reach or exceed our fundraising goals and present our supporters with brand name products they use and want. Benefits of the online Direct-to-Home Delivery Program: All orders shipped directly to purchaser; 40% profit to TZHS PTSA on all items purchased; premium products in a wide range of prices; shop online anytime 24/7; promotion available through January 10, 2018; track all your sales through your personal online seller’s portal; and, convenient, simple and your support will benefit TZHS students. For more information, go to the link posted at the top of our homepage: http://www.tzhsptsa.org.
- Tappan Zee High School PTSA is gearing up for another year of great events! Interested in volunteering? Send an email to [email protected]. Don’t forget to join PTSA; annual dues help us support TZHS students. Online registration is available or you can print a form and return to the TZHS Main Office. For membership information, go to: http://www.tzhsptsa.org/membership/.