Children who turn five years of age by December 1 are eligible to enter kindergarten that school year. Advance kindergarten registration and screening is done by William O. Schaefer Elementary School in the spring.
See “Registration Process” section below for the link to register kindergartners for the 2018-19 school year.
Families who move into the district during the summer prior to the start of the school year must enroll their children through the Registration Process outlined below.
When registering your child, please submit the student’s most recent report card and, if applicable, most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Grade placement assigned at registration is provisional until the principal or guidance counselor makes the appropriate final grade determination.
Please note that new students may be required to take a mandatory screening exam. The procedure may take up to 90 minutes and must be completed prior to meeting with a counselor for a schedule of classes.
The district has a two-part registration process:
STEP ONE: click the appropriate link below to register your child online. Instructions on how to use the online registration portal are posted below under “Forms/Materials for Parents.”
- NEW! Click here to register a child for the 2018-19 school year
- Click here to register your child for the 2017-18 school year
STEP TWO: Once your child has been registered online, call the District Registrar to schedule an appointment for submitting hard copies of the required documents for registration, as follows:
- Student Proof of Birth (one of the following must be provided)
- Original birth certificate;
- Original baptismal certificate with raised seal; or
- Current passport or visa
- Student Proof of Immunization/Physical
- Physical exam by a doctor is required for every new entrant
- Statement signed by a physician or clinic listing the month, day and year of immunization, including: 2 MMR (measles/mumps/rubella), 3 DPT (diphtheria), 3 Polio, 3 of Hepatitis B, 1 Hib (Haemophilus Influenza) and 1 Varicella vaccinations
- Documentation of lead screening for children under 6 years of age
- Student’s Most Recent Report Card
- Student’s Most Recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), if applicable
- Household Proof of Residency
- Three types of recent bills in parent/legal guardian’s name and address (electric/gas, telephone, water, cable/digital TV, bank, etc.)
- Homeowners: Mortgage papers or tax bills in parent/legal guardian’s name
- Renters: Original signed lease agreement accompanied by the following:
- Notarized paid rent receipt signed from the landlord with name and address of tenant and telephone number of landlord for verification purposes
- Notarized letter of residency from property owner with their proof of residency
- Parent Entitlement Affidavit Form, completed and notarized
- Parent Entitlement Affidavit Form, completed and notarized (posted below under “Forms/Materials for Parents”)
- Affidavit of Landlord or District Resident Form, completed and notarized (posted below under “Forms/Materials for Parents”)
- Custody Papers
- Original custody papers are necessary in cases of divorce or re-marriage. If you are not the parent/legal guardian of a child you wish to register, we will require valid custody papers with all necessary information.
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act provides protections for students who are living in a shelter, car, park, bus, train, campsite, other temporary living situation, or with another person or family, due to loss of housing or as a result of economic hardship. Students protected under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act are entitled to immediate enrollment in school, even if they do not have the documents normally required, such as proof of residency, school records, immunization records, or birth certificate. These students may also be entitled to other services. Parents or guardians who believe their child may be eligible should complete the Residency Questionnaire under “Forms/Materials for Parents” below.
Forms/Information for Parents
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view forms posted below in Adobe Acrobat PDF format and may be downloaded free from the Adobe website. Unable to access the forms? Please contact District Registrar Rose Ngai via email ([email protected]) or by calling (845) 680-1137 for assistance.