Closings, Delays & Early Dismissals
Students’ safety and welfare is the District’s primary concern at all times.
- The decision to close or delay school opening is made by 5:30AM. Determinations are made according to conditions within the district. If weather conditions worsen or other situations arise during the school day, an early dismissal decision may be made.
- Notifications for closings, delays and early dismissals are sent to staff and families via SchoolMessenger phone and email messages, and posted on the District homepage. They are also posted on the district Facebook (@southorangetowncsd) and Twitter (@southorangetown) feeds and submitted to the following media outlets:
- Radio: WHUD/100.7 FM, WRCR/1700AM and WCBS/880 AM
- Television: News12
- Families are strongly encouraged to have a family emergency plan in place in the event that school is delayed, canceled or dismissed early.
- Please keep in mind that even if school is not closed or delayed, transportation delays should be expected at times of extreme cold, ice, heavy rain and/or snow, delays. Drivers are repeatedly instructed to drive at a speed appropriate for the prevailing road and/or weather conditions. Again, our focus is on safety.
Morning buses arrive two hours later than their regularly scheduled time. Schools open as follows:
- SOMS & TZHS: 10:15am
- WOS & CLE: 11:15am
No breakfast, but lunch is served. Elementary school parents are encouraged to ask their children to let their teachers know if they need a snack on days when breakfast is not served.
Early dismissals may be scheduled (e.g., Superintendent’s Conference Days) or called in anticipation of inclement weather. After-school activities, Continuing Education classes, and the YMCA program are canceled. Students are bused to their regular afternoon stops, including alternate sites. Students who would normally attend afternoon YMCA program are bused home. Students are dismissed as follows:
- SOMS & TZHS: 11:15am
- WOS & CLE: 12:15pm
Breakfast, but no lunch, is served.
NOTE: If the district is notified by a child care provider that they are closing due to inclement weather, those students will be bused directly home.
Students in one or more buildings may be dismissed early due to an emergency (e.g., water main break that impacts the schools). If students may not be dismissed at the standard Early Dismissal time, all busing-eligible students are bused home. Alternative site day care transportation arrangements will not be honored in the event of an emergency dismissal.
WOS parents should ensure that they have a bus designee available to meet their children at their home bus stop in the event of an emergency dismissal as the school may not have the staff resources required to receive students returned to school. Students in grades 3 and up are permitted to exit buses without an adult and should be prepared to gain access to their homes in the event of an early arrival.
View the Emergency Response webpage for additional information.