In a rapidly changing world, the South Orangetown school community affirms its positive vision of the future by providing a safe and caring environment where the excitement of teaching and learning is shared by all, and where we encourage and nurture the uniqueness of each child.
Through diverse and challenging programs, we promote high academic standards, creative and critical thinking, self-respect and respect for others, and acceptance of our responsibilities in a global society.
We are committed to fostering a love of learning in our students.
Board of Education meeting dates are posted on the district’s Google Calendar. Click here to view the 2018-19 Board Meeting Schedule (approved 4/12/18) in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader may be downloaded free from the Adobe website. Unless otherwise specified, the Board of Education meetings are held on Thursdays at 7:30pm in the South Orangetown Middle School Library at 160 Van Wyck Road in Blauvelt, unless indicated otherwise. Please park in the Erie Street parking lot.
- A Regular Meeting is a business meeting for which a specific agenda is developed in advance by the Board and Superintendent. The agenda includes resolutions that must be voted on and personnel actions that must be taken to sustain the District’s general operations. Regular Meetings may also include presentations on various topics and updates on important ongoing initiatives. Public Commentary is a component of Regular Meetings; view the Public Commentary Protocol.
- A Board Workshop is a commentary on a particular topic chosen by the Board. These meetings are considered a Board work session, or roundtable, for the purpose of sharing ideas or for a particular presentation of information. Although the public is welcome to attend, workshops do not have a Public Commentary component.
As a legal arm of the government of the State of New York, our Board of Education is responsible for:
- Affirming a shared vision for the school district
- Establishing district goals and setting priorities
- Overseeing the general operation of the district (including educational programs, public relations, facilities and contracts)
- Setting educational policy
- Adopting and maintaining current policies in written format
- Approving and adopting the annual budget
- Hiring and evaluating the Superintendent
- Approving the appointment of all personnel and related collective bargaining agreements/contracts
- Deciding on the best utilization of resources
- Setting high standards of governance
- Meeting all requirements of New York State law