The mission of the South Orangetown Central School District is to elevate, engage and inspire through personalized and exceptional educational experiences that ensure all students achieve to their fullest potential.
Our values are:
- To challenge our students with the highest quality education
- To foster an inclusive school district community based upon respect, responsibility, equity and global citizenship, and
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment which prepares every student for future success
Notices of Board of Education meetings are posted on the e-Backpack page under “District Notices.”
Board of Education meeting dates are posted on the district’s Google Calendar. Unless otherwise specified, the Board of Education meetings are held on Thursdays at 7:30pm in the South Orangetown Middle School Library at 160 Van Wyck Road in Blauvelt, unless indicated otherwise. Please park in the Erie Street parking lot.
- A Regular Meeting is a business meeting for which a specific agenda is developed in advance by the Board and Superintendent. The agenda includes resolutions that must be voted on and personnel actions that must be taken to sustain the District’s general operations. Regular Meetings may also include presentations on various topics and updates on important ongoing initiatives. Public Commentary is a component of Regular Meetings; view Board Policy 1230 – Public Participation at Board Meetings.
- A Board Workshop is a commentary on a particular topic chosen by the Board. These meetings are considered a Board work session, or roundtable, for the purpose of sharing ideas or for a particular presentation of information. Although the public is welcome to attend, workshops do not have a Public Commentary component.
As a legal arm of the government of the State of New York, our Board of Education is responsible for:
- Affirming a shared vision for the school district
- Establishing district goals and setting priorities
- Overseeing the general operation of the district (including educational programs, public relations, facilities and contracts)
- Setting educational policy
- Adopting and maintaining current policies in written format
- Approving and adopting the annual budget
- Hiring and evaluating the Superintendent
- Approving the appointment of all personnel and related collective bargaining agreements/contracts
- Deciding on the best utilization of resources
- Setting high standards of governance
- Meeting all requirements of New York State law