Universal PreK and Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten
Applications for 2022-23 Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) and Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten programs open February 18!
- Early childhood programs with qualified teachers at local preschools
- Children attend 2.5 hours (UPK) or 5 hours (full-day), Monday through Friday, 180 days per school year
- No cost for families
South Orangetown families with children who will turn four years old by December 1, 2022 are eligible to apply for the 2022-23 school year. (Children must be born between December 1, 2017 and December 1, 2018.)
UPK and Statewide Full Day Pre-Kindergarten are special early childhood programs established by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and school districts to provide an early learning experience for the children of eligible families.
In addition, please review this list of the participating providers for the 2022-23 school year (updated 4/25/22), which includes providers for whom approval is still pending. Then, complete this Google Form (English | Spanish) to select your top 3 choices for your child. Please note that you may select a school that is still listed as PENDING. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Lynnette Stallone at (845) 680-1059 or email at [email protected].
Proof of Age Eligibility:
- A duly certified transcript of a birth certificate filed according to the law, or a duly certified transcript of a record of baptism, giving the date of birth; OR, if not available,
- A passport showing the date of birth of the minor; OR, if not available,
- Other documentary evidence or other recorded evidence in existence two years or more, and satisfactory to the certification officer, except an affidavit of age.
Proof of Residency:
- Two (2) of the following documents with parent/guardian name and address listed are requested: Current bank statement, tax bill, utility bill or credit card bill. (NOTE: Handwritten envelopes, magazine covers, termination notice for utility bills and income tax returns cannot be accepted as proof of residency.)
The South Orangetown Central School District will review completed applications and verify eligibility.
- SOCSD has 70 Universal Pre-Kindergarten seats (2.5 hours of instruction) for the 2022-23 school year. The eligibility for Universal Pre-Kindergarten is based upon age only. Should the number of requests received exceed the number of seats that NYSED has funded for Universal Pre-Kindergarten, a lottery will be used to select applicants for the District.
- SOCSD has an additional 30 seats for Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten (5 hours of instruction) for the 2022-23 school year. These 30 full-day seats have an eligibility requirement based upon income and primary language spoken and understood by the child. Should the number of requests received exceed the number of seats that NYSED has funded for Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten, a lottery will be used to select applicants for the District.
If the number of requests exceed seats available, a completed application, proof of age eligibility and proof of residency must be on file by March 31, 2022, to be considered for either lottery. Children who receive either a Universal Pre-Kindergarten or Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten seat will be placed according to parent choice, if possible.
Once all applications are received, the District will conduct family interviews of all applicants to provide further documentation during this process (i.e., immunization report, income eligibility to determine Full-Day eligibility, Emergent Multilingual Learners Language Profile & Home Language Questionnaire, A full list of required documents will be communicated to applicants at a later date.)
Parents/guardians will be notified of the status of their child’s application via mail once selections/assignments have been made (late May 2022).
Applications received or postmarked after March 31, 2022 will be placed into a waiting pool unless there are surplus openings available.