Capital Improvements Bond
October 2, 2023: Plans for Phase 2 (Tappan Zee High School) were submitted to the New York State Education Department for review on September 29.
August 25, 2023: The New York State Education Department has approved Phase I construction for the Capital Improvements Bond Project. Bidding will open this fall, with work anticipated to begin in Spring 2024 at William O. Schaefer Elementary School and Cottage Lane Elementary School during the second shift (after school hours). Phase II (Tappan Zee High School) will be submitted for NYSED review this fall.
Thanks to strong support from the South Orangetown community, the District’s Capital Improvements Bond passed with 66% of the vote on March 8, 2022. This project is the culmination of a multi-year, long-range master capital planning effort which included a district-wide Building Conditions Survey, extensive building-level conversations with staff, meetings with architects and detailed facilities tours and discussions. On December 9, 2021, our Board of Education unanimously approved the District’s proposed Capital Improvements Bond to address essential infrastructure for student health, safety and success.
SCOPE: To address prioritized needs, the Capital Improvements Bond project scope includes:
- District-Wide Classroom Renovations, including new HVAC and control systems, upgrades to lighting, ceilings, flooring, casework and plumbing, additional electrical and data outlets and security enhancements
- CLE Main Entrance Security Redesign
- TZHS Auditorium Renovation
- Development of Outdoor Classrooms (all schools)
- Creation of Fitness Paths at CLE and SOMS
- SOMS Upper Grass Field Renovation
COST: The total project budget totals $49,932,000. However, the use of $18,000,000 in existing capital reserve funds will offset costs, resulting in a total bond amount of $31,932,000.
TIMELINE: Construction will begin in Summer 2023 (pending NYSED approval) and be completed by Fall 2027.