Capital Improvements Bond
Thanks to strong support from the South Orangetown community, the District’s Capital Improvements Bond passed with 66% of the vote on March 8, 2022!
This project is the culmination of a multi-year, long-range master capital planning effort which included a district-wide Building Conditions Survey, extensive building-level conversations with staff, meetings with architects and detailed facilities tours and discussions. On December 9, 2021, our Board of Education unanimously approved the District’s proposed Capital Improvements Bond to address essential infrastructure for student health, safety and success.
SCOPE: To address prioritized needs, the Capital Improvements Bond project scope includes:
- District-Wide Classroom Renovations, including new HVAC and control systems, upgrades to lighting, ceilings, flooring, casework and plumbing, additional electrical and data outlets and security enhancements
- CLE Main Entrance Security Redesign
- TZHS Auditorium Renovation
- Development of Outdoor Classrooms (all schools)
- Creation of Fitness Paths at CLE and SOMS
- SOMS Upper Grass Field Renovation
COST: The total project budget totals $49,932,000. However, the use of $18,000,000 in existing capital reserve funds will offset costs, resulting in a total bond amount of $31,932,000.
TIMELINE: Construction will begin in Summer 2023 (pending NYSED approval) and be completed by Fall 2027.
Keep up with Capital Improvements Bond project progress (#SOCSDbond) by following the District’s Facebook and Instagram feeds.