South Orangetown Central School District is working with its architecture and engineering firm, Clark Patterson Lee, to define, plan and execute capital project work.
July 10, 2019: Extensive summer work is underway on our fields and playgrounds and in our buildings. Access to facilities may be limited as improvements and upgrades are made. Scheduled summer work includes:
Tappan Zee High School
- Replacement of main turf athletic field
- Installation of new, handicapped-accessible bleachers in the main gym
South Orangetown Middle School
- Renovation of auditorium, including new flooring, wall covering, lighting, HVAC
and audience seating
- Renovation of Challenge Lab and technology classrooms, including flooring, ceilings, casework, lighting, HVAC and equipment
Cottage Lane Elementary School
- Installation of foundations, sidewalks, covered walkway, underground power and plumbing to new modular library unit
- Electric service upgrade, new transformers and feeds
William O. Schaefer Elementary School
- Creation of exit doors from cafeteria and gym
- New stage access with wheelchair lift
- Renovation of Nurse’s Office, including new bathroom, flooring, ceilings, doors, hardware, lighting, plumbing fixtures and paint
- Renovation of children’s bathrooms and wash area, including new toilets, partitions, sinks, fixtures, doors, tile, ceilings, lighting and electric devices
In addition to these projects, asbestos abatement and classroom redesign work will be completed in numerous locations.
As always, the safety and security of staff, students and community are our district’s top priority. All construction and maintenance work is done in full compliance with regulatory standards. Work sites that require restricted access are clearly marked; please observe signage and steer clear of safety fencing.
Stay tuned to the SOCSD Facebook page (search by #Summer2019CapitalProjects) for progress updates this summer!
April 18, 2019: Summer 2019 Capital Project Work Begins
May 24, 2018: TZ Turf Field Replacement Presentation Recap
May 23, 2018: SOCSD to Host Turf Field Replacement Information Session
May 18, 2018: TZ Turf Field Replacement (Dr. Pritchard’s Blog)
What is the process for getting school district capital projects done?
STEP 1: Identify capital improvements to be made.
STEP 2: Secure voter approval for capital reserve fund expenditures to fund improvements.
STEP 3: Hire architecture and engineering (A/E) firm to review project scope and begin design.
STEP 4: Submit project drawings and specifications to the New York State Education Department to receive building permit (work may not be bid or begun until a building permit is in place).
STEP 5: District advertises for bid of construction contracts.
STEP 6: Once bids have been received, A/E or Construction Management firm conducts bidder qualification process.
STEP 7: A/E or Construction Management Firm makes recommendation to the school district Board of Education to award construction contracts.
STEP 8: Board of Education reviews recommendations and awards contracts.
STEP 9: Work begins, typically once summer recess begins to minimize disruption.
How are projects scheduled?
Work projects are grouped together by how long construction is expected to take, how long project design is expected to take, and location to maximize cost-effectiveness and minimize disruption to individual schools.