Please review the following summary of student responsibilities and rules with your child(ren) prior to the first day of school:
- Obey all of the bus safety rules
- Be 10 minutes early at the scheduled bus stop
- Wait until the bus comes to a full stop before attempting to enter or get off the bus
- Go immediately to your seat and stay there until the bus comes to a complete stop at the next assigned bus stop or at the school
- Remember to take all books, lunches, or other articles with you as you exit the bus
- Don’t talk with or distract the driver while the bus is moving
- Be courteous and respectful at all times
- Always use the handrail when entering or exiting the bus
- Follow these procedures if you must cross the road:
- Students crossing the road should walk forward of the bus until they can see the bus driver
- Before crossing the road, wait until the driver signals that it is okay to cross
- While crossing the road, continue to look in both directions
- If something falls on the street or under the bus, DO NOT TRY TO GET IT – continue crossing the street. Call to the bus driver or tell a parent.
- Follow these exiting procedures if not crossing the road:
- Students not crossing the road will exit when the driver signals that it is okay to leave, using handrail.
- Immediately on exiting, walk at least fifteen (15) feet away from the bus to the nearest sidewalk or out of the roadway. (NYS V.T. 1174)
- Do not walk in danger zones (visit the NYS School Bus & School Zone Safety Kids Page for visuals)
- Ask a parent to contact the bus company if something is left on the bus
- Do not bring large or hazardous items on the bus. The NYS Department of Transportation requires that objects carried on a school bus must fit in a child’s lap, must not block the aisle or any emergency exits and must not intrude on another child sitting in the same seat. This includes school projects, duffle bags, musical instruments, and any object that could become a projectile in a sudden stop.
- Keep your seat belt properly fastened for the entire trip.
- Follow all directions given by the bus driver.
- Do not open the windows without permission. If permission is granted, do not extend head, hand, arms or any objects out the window.
Students not obeying the rules outlined above are subject to disciplinary actions. See Disciplinary Procedures.