South Orangetown Central School District


Kindergarten Registration Begins February 17!

South Orangetown children who will turn age 5 by December 1, 2023 are eligible to begin kindergarten in September!

Attend the Incoming Kindergarten Orientation for Parents on Thursday, February 16, 7PM, at William O. Schaefer Elementary School, 140 Lester Drive, Tappan.
Snow date: February 28, 7PM.

Register your child online via the 2023-24 registration link (Step 1 under Registration Process) below starting at 9AM on Friday, February 17. Registration support documents may be emailed to or mailed to AJ Walker, District Registrar, South Orangetown Central School District, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913.

Need help? Join us for Kindergarten Registration Assistance Night on Wednesday, March 1, 6-8PM, at WOS.

Once your child’s registration is complete, your family will be assigned a Kindergarten Screening appointment during the week of June 5-9.

The New York State Education Department requires that all new entrants to school are screened to determine which students are possibly gifted, have or are suspected of having a disability and/or possibly have limited English proficiency. Incoming kindergartners are evaluated on a range of developmental tasks, including but not limited to self-care, language, cognitive and fine and gross motor skills. The appointment will last approximately 40 minutes.

CONTACT: AJ Walker, District Registrar | | (845) 680-1137

For more information regarding kindergarten readiness, Pre-K playgroups and more, view the mailer that was sent to South Orangetown families in January!

Registering School-Aged Children

When registering your child, please submit the student’s most recent report card and, if applicable, most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Children who turn five years of age by December 1 are eligible to enter kindergarten that school year. Grade placement assigned at registration is provisional until the principal or guidance counselor makes the appropriate final grade determination.

Please note that new students may be required to take a mandatory screening exam. The procedure may take up to 90 minutes and must be completed prior to meeting with a counselor for a schedule of classes.

Registration Process

*Please note, this is not for Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) or Statewide Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten. To register your child for UPK or Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten, please visit our UPK webpage here.

The district has a two-part registration process:

STEP ONE: Register your child for the:

Click here for instructions on how to use the registration portal.

STEP TWO: Once your child has been registered online, submit copies of the following required documents for registration via email ( or mail (District Registrar, South Orangetown Central School District, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913):

  • Student Proof of Birth (one of the following must be provided)
    • Original birth certificate;
    • Original baptismal certificate with raised seal; or
    • Current passport or visa
  •  Student Proof of Immunization/Physical
    • Physical exam by a primary care provider is required for every new entrant (exam must have been given within one year of the first day of the current school year)
    • Statement signed by a primary care provider or clinic listing the month, day and year of immunization, including:
      • 2 doses MMR (measles/mumps/rubella);
      • 5 doses DPT (diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus), unless the 4th dose is given AFTER the 4th birthday;
      • 4 doses Polio, unless the 3rd dose is given after the 4th birthday;
      • 3 doses Hepatitis B; and,
      • 2 doses Varicella
      • PLEASE NOTE: There are exceptions to these requirements, based on student grade. Please see the New York State Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance chart: English | Español
  • Student’s Most Recent Report Card
  • Student’s Most Recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), if applicable
  • Household Proof of Residency
    • One recent bill in parent/legal guardian’s name and address (electric/gas, telephone, water, cable/digital TV, bank, etc.)
    • Homeowners: Mortgage papers or tax bills in parent/legal guardian’s name or deed to the home in parent/legal guardian’s name
    • Renters: Copy of a signed lease agreement
  • Copy of Parent/Legal Guardian’s Driver’s License or government-issued identification
  • Custody Papers
      • Original custody papers are necessary in cases of divorce or re-marriage. If you are not the parent/legal guardian of a child you wish to register, we will require valid custody papers with all necessary information.
  • Dental Exam (requested)

Change of Address

To update a student record with a new address, parents/guardians must complete this Change of Address Form (English | Spanish) and submit it to the Registrar with the following proof of residency documentation:

  • One utility bill; and,
  • Mortgage statement, deed or tax bill for homeowners OR copy of lease agreement for renters


Parents who wish to reenroll their children in South Orangetown Central School District schools, must complete this Student Re-Entry Form (English | Spanish) and submit it to the Registrar with:

  • Physical and immunization records, and
  • A copy of the student’s report card for the prior school year


160 Van Wyck Road
Blauvelt, NY 10913
Fax: (845) 680-1901

Alexandra Jae (AJ) Walker
District Registrar
(845) 680-1137

McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act provides protections for students who are living in a shelter, car, park, bus, train, campsite, other temporary living situation, or with another person or family, due to loss of housing or as a result of economic hardship. Students protected under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act are entitled to immediate enrollment in school, even if they do not have the documents normally required, such as proof of residency, school records, immunization records, or birth certificate. These students may also be entitled to other services. Parents or guardians who believe their child may be eligible should complete the Residency Questionnaire under “Forms/Materials for Parents” below.