When registering your child, please submit the student’s most recent report card and, if applicable, most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Children who turn five years of age by December 1 are eligible to enter kindergarten that school year. Grade placement assigned at registration is provisional until the principal or guidance counselor makes the appropriate final grade determination.
Please note that new students may be required to take a mandatory screening exam. The procedure may take up to 90 minutes and must be completed prior to meeting with a counselor for a schedule of classes.
The district has a two-part registration process:
STEP ONE: Click the link below to register your child online. Click here for instructions on how to use the registration portal.
STEP TWO: Once your child has been registered online, submit copies of the following required documents for registration via email ([email protected]) or mail (District Registrar, South Orangetown Central School District, 160 Van Wyck Road, Blauvelt, NY 10913):
- Student Proof of Birth (one of the following must be provided)
- Original birth certificate;
- Original baptismal certificate with raised seal; or
- Current passport or visa
- Student Proof of Immunization/Physical
- Physical exam by a primary care provider is required for every new entrant (exam must have been given within one year of the first day of the current school year)
- Dental exam (requested)
- Statement signed by a primary care provider or clinic listing the month, day and year of immunization, including:
- 2 doses MMR (measles/mumps/rubella);
- 5 doses DPT (diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus), unless the 4th dose is given AFTER the 4th birthday;
- 4 doses Polio, unless the 3rd dose is given after the 4th birthday;
- 3 doses Hepatitis B; and,
- 2 doses Varicella
- PLEASE NOTE: There are exceptions to these requirements, based on student grade. Please see the New York State Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance chart: English | Español
- Student’s Most Recent Report Card
- Student’s Most Recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), if applicable
- Household Proof of Residency
- Residency Questionnaire
- Three types of recent bills in parent/legal guardian’s name and address (electric/gas, telephone, water, cable/digital TV, bank, etc.)
- Homeowners: Mortgage papers or tax bills in parent/legal guardian’s name
- Renters: Original signed lease agreement accompanied by the following:
- Notarized paid rent receipt signed from the landlord with name and address of tenant and telephone number of landlord for verification purposes
- Notarized letter of residency from property owner with their proof of residency
- Parent Entitlement Affidavit Form, completed and notarized (English | Español)
- Affidavit of Landlord or District Resident Form, completed and notarized (English | Español)
- Custody Papers
- Original custody papers are necessary in cases of divorce or re-marriage. If you are not the parent/legal guardian of a child you wish to register, we will require valid custody papers with all necessary information.
- New York State Migrant Education Parent Survey (English| Español)
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act provides protections for students who are living in a shelter, car, park, bus, train, campsite, other temporary living situation, or with another person or family, due to loss of housing or as a result of economic hardship. Students protected under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act are entitled to immediate enrollment in school, even if they do not have the documents normally required, such as proof of residency, school records, immunization records, or birth certificate. These students may also be entitled to other services. Parents or guardians who believe their child may be eligible should complete the Residency Questionnaire under “Forms/Materials for Parents” below.