Family Engagement Center
Upcoming Events and Programs
Online Course: Growth Mindset for Parents
Ongoing | FREE
Log on to learn about growth mindset! To begin this free course for parents, click on the following link: https://www.mindsetkit.org/growth-mindset-parents.
If you are the parent of an incoming kindergartner, the FEC is planning playgroups just for children who will be entering kindergarten at William O. Schaefer Elementary School in September 2019 to meet and socialize. Interested? Please complete this quick survey to let FEC Coordinator AJ Walker know which dates and times work best for most families.
Wednesdays: March 20; April 3 & 17; May 1 & 15; and June 5 & 19
9:30AM & 10:30AM
Family Engagement Center
Come meet other South Orangetown families with toddlers and preschoolers! Free and open to all South Orangetown residents with children ages 2-5. Advance registration is encouraged, but not required. Just email FEC Coordinator AJ Walker at [email protected] to let her know if your family plans to attend.
Family Night Under the Stars
Monday, March 25
Experience a fun night out with your entire family! The Family Engagement Center is partnering with Instructional Science Coaches Samantha Levine and Brian Newburger to present its first Family Night Under the Stars at William O. Schaefer Elementary School. Offerings will include a StarLab show, astronomy activity stations and stargazing through the district’s telescope (weather permitting). Advance registration requested via this Google Form. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Parent Workshop: What to Do When…
Monday, April 8, 7:00-8:30PM
South Orangetown Middle School Library
This informative workshop is the third session of a three-part series hosted by the SOCSD Family Engagement Center for parents and guardians of students in grades K-12. All are encouraged to attend. View the announcement.
About the FEC
The South Orangetown Family Engagement Center (FEC) promotes active parent involvement to support student success, from pre-K through graduation. All programs and services are offered at no cost and include:
- Workshops on topics of interest, offered in partnership with our schools
- 1:1 and small group training sessions on topics requested by parents or schools to help families better access school district tools and resources
- Online classes about growth mindset, executive function and more
- Book group discussions focused on education and parenting
- Monthly playgroups for South Orangetown families with children ages 2-4
- Hour-long sessions meet at 9:30am and 10:30am on the first Wednesday of each month
Drop-In Resource Center
- Get referrals to community agencies and information about college, careers and internship opportunities
- Computer access available for families
The South Orangetown Family Engagement Center (FEC) is part of the Rockland 21C Collaborative for Children and Youth, whose mission is to ensure the optimal development of every child by building a comprehensive support system that links family, school and community.