Back to School
Welcome to the 2022-23 School Year!
First day of school is Tuesday, September 6
View the Guide to the School Year: 2022-23.
Buttons linked to back to school information, including summer reading resources, are posted on our school homepages and can be accessed directly via the links below:
- WOS: https://blogs.socsd.org/wos/back-to-school/
- CLE: https://blogs.socsd.org/cle/back-to-school
- SOMS: https://blogs.socsd.org/soms/back-to-school/
- TZHS: https://blogs.socsd.org/tzhs/back-to-school/
In addition, the New York State Education Department and New York State Department of Health recently released updated COVID-19 guidelines for schools in alignment with revised CDC guidance. Please visit our COVID-19 Reporting webpage for information.
Our District uses a variety of tools to communicate with our families, staff and community:
- SchoolMessenger: This email and robocall system is used to share important information regarding school programs, services and news. Parents/guardians of current students and staff are automatically subscribed at the start of each school year. Not receiving emails from your child’s school or from the District? Contact your child’s school directly.
- Google Calendars: School events, holidays, Board of Education meetings and other key dates are posted on our District and school Google calendars, which are displayed on the District and building homepages. For information on how to subscribe to updates and sync calendars with mobile devices, view the Google Calendar Quick Reference.
- Web and Social Media:
- Web: www.socsd.org
- Facebook: @SouthOrangetownCSD | @SOCSDFEC | @TZHSCounseling
- Instagram: @SouthOrangetownCSD | @Tappan_Zee_HS | @soms_strong | @CottageLaneES | @WOSnews | @TZeeAthletics
- YouTube: SOCSD Communications | SOCSD Events | TZHS Counseling
- Twitter: @SouthOrangetown | @Tappan_Zee_HS | @SOMS_News | @CottageLaneES | @WOSnews | @TZeeAthletics
- School Communications Information:
- SOCSD and school meal programs across the nation will resume charging for school meals. MySchoolBucks is the SOCSD’s online payment system for school meals, as well as field trips and AP exam fees. For more information, visit the Food Service webpage.
- School menus, allergen and nutrition information are posted online at www.fdmealplanner.com/#SOCSD.
- Parents and caregivers who believe that their children may be eligible for free and reduced-price school breakfast and lunch are encouraged to complete the 2022-23 application and email it to Maureen Clancy (email@example.com) as soon as possible. The downloadable application is posted in English and Spanish on the Food Service webpage.
School Physical Requirements
New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time AND when entering pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Physicals completed within 365 days prior to the first day of school are acceptable.
Please contact your child’s healthcare provider to schedule your child’s health examination and required vaccinations. Remember to sign consent forms allowing your provider to speak with school health staff at the time of your child’s examination.
Please read the following requirements carefully:
- The examination must be completed by a NY/NJ state licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner.
- A dental certificate which indicates your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is requested at the same time.
- A copy of the NYSED Student Health Examination Form must be provided to the school within 30 days after the start of school for new entrants and when your child starts kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Please note that the NYSED Student Health Examination Form or its electronic health record equivalent MUST be used for all physicals; no other forms are acceptable.
- Links to the NYSED Student Health Examination Form and dental certificate forms are posted on the For Parents page of our school district website, under Forms.
Parents are encouraged to make copies of the completed forms for their own records before sending them to the School Nurse’s Office. Forms may be faxed to the appropriate school:
WOS: Riva Fisher, RN | Tel: 845-680-1304 | Fax: 845-680-1920
CLE: Karen Fitzgibbons, RN | Tel: 845-680-1508 | Fax: 845-680-1957
SOMS: Margaret Keane, RN | Tel: 845-680-1130 | Fax: 845-680-1911
TZHS: Patricia Shalvey, RN | Tel: 845-680-1647 | Fax: 845-680-1960
Proof of up-to-date immunizations must be submitted prior to the start of school for kindergartners and all new students. View information regarding New York State Vaccination Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance: English | Español.
The Rockland County Department of Health offers immunization and medical clinics for children ages 5-18 and adults, including those who are uninsured, underinsured or on Medicaid. For information or to make an appointment, call (845) 364-2497. Details are posted on the NYS Department of Health website.
- If busing to or from an alternate site is needed, be sure to submit the Alternate Site Request Form (English| Español) by July 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Alternate Site Request Form must be completed and submitted each year that a student requires transportation to or from an alternate site.
- William O. Schaefer Elementary School parents/guardians: All SOCSD students in grades K-2 are required to have an adult with them when they board the school bus each morning and get off the bus in the afternoon. WOS students will be released only to adults listed on the Bus Designee Form which must be submitted by August 15 to email@example.com. View the WOS Bus Designee Form (English|Español).
If families have not received their children’s bus assignments for the 2022-23 school year by August 15, contact the Transportation Office at (845) 680-1662 or (845) 680-1663.
Alternate Site Transportation Request Form Deadline
Thursday, July 15
Fall High School Sports Registration & APP Process Opens
Friday, July 22
Register at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.
Fall Modified Sports Registration Opens
Sunday, August 7
Register at: socsd.powermediallc.org/.
Fall APP Letter of Interest Deadline
Wednesday, August 10
Bus Passes Delivered
Monday, August 15
WOS Bus Designee Form Deadline
Monday, August 15
Fall APP Physical Testing
Wednesday, August 17 & Thursday, August 18 | 5PM
Administered at the TZHS Multipurpose Field.
Fall High School Sports Begin
Monday, August 22
SOMS Grade 6 Locker Day
Monday, August 29
WOS Kindergarten Meet & Greet
Wednesday, August 31 | 10AM-12:45PM*
*Families will be emailed a specific time for their child’s teacher
CLE New Families Meet & Greet
Wednesday, August 31 | 3PM
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Tuesday, September 6
Fall Modified Sports Begin
Wednesday, September 7