Family Engagement Center
Upcoming Events and Programs
SOCSD is proud to partner with Rockland 21C to offer ParentChild+, a research-based, early childhood literacy and parent support program, starting this fall. “We’re excited to introduce the ParentChild+ program in South Orangetown,” said Executive Director of Pupil Personnel Services Dr. Karen Tesik. “This is a nationally recognized program based on extensive research documenting the powerful impact of early childhood education on children’s cognitive and social development, with benefits that extend into adulthood. Partnering with Rockland 21C is one way for us to expand access to early childhood literacy, school readiness and parenting support for our families in need.”
Designed for families who may not have access to preschool or face other challenges, ParentChild+ features twice-weekly, 30-minute home visits with bilingual early learning specialist Rosario Urena over a two-year period. There is no cost to participate and ParentChild+ families receive free books and educational toys each week as part of the program. View brochure: English | Español.
To learn more, contact Family Engagement Center Coordinator AJ Walker at [email protected] or (845) 274-2370.
About the FEC
The South Orangetown Family Engagement Center (FEC) promotes active parent involvement to support student success, from pre-K through graduation. All programs and services are offered at no cost and include:
- Workshops on topics of interest, offered in partnership with our schools
- 1:1 and small group training sessions on topics requested by parents or schools to help families better access school district tools and resources
- Online classes about growth mindset, executive function and more
- Book group discussions focused on education and parenting
- Monthly playgroups for South Orangetown families with children ages 2-4
- Hour-long sessions meet at 9:30am and 10:30am on the first Wednesday of each month
Drop-In Resource Center
- Get referrals to community agencies and information about college, careers and internship opportunities
- Computer access available for families
The South Orangetown Family Engagement Center (FEC) is part of the Rockland 21C Collaborative for Children and Youth, whose mission is to ensure the optimal development of every child by building a comprehensive support system that links family, school and community.