Audit Committee/Finance Advisory Council
NOTE: The District is reviewing its committee structures and processes. Information on this page may no longer be accurate and is subject to change.
The Finance Advisory Council reviews and discusses topics related to school finances, and offers multiple perspectives on how the district financially supports its educational program. The council is comprised of Board and community members who possess financial, auditing and accounting experience.
The Audit Committee oversees and reports to the Board of Education on the annual audit of district records. It is a sub-committee of the Finance Advisory Council. Specifically, the purpose of the Audit Committee is to comply with Chapter 263 of the laws of 2005, “The Five-Point Plan.” The committee’s role is advisory and any recommendations it provides shall not substitute for any required review and acceptance by the Board of Education.
It shall be the responsibility of the Audit Committee to:
- Provide recommendations regarding the appointment of the external auditor
- Meet with the external auditor prior to commencement of the audit
- Review and discuss with the external auditor any risk assessment of the district’s financial operations
- Receive and review the draft annual audit report and accompanying draft management letter and, working directly with the external auditor, assist the trustee or board of education in interpreting such documents
- Make a recommendation to the Board of Education on accepting the annual audit report
- Review every corrective action plan to be developed by a school district as require by this article and assist the trustees or board of education in the implementation of such plan
- Assist in the oversight of the internal audit function including, but not limited to:
- Providing recommendations regarding the appointment of the internal auditor for the school district
- The review of significant findings and recommendations of the internal auditor
- Monitoring the school district’s implementation of such recommendations
- The evaluation of the performance of the internal audit function
The Audit Committee may conduct an executive session (on limited matters). Any member of the Board of Education who is not a member of such Audit Committee may be allowed to attend an Audit Committee meeting if authorized by a resolution of the Board of Education.
The commissioner may promulgate regulations with respect to Audit Committees.
- Interim School Business Administrator: Gregory Kern
- Board of Education: Leon Jacobs (FAC, AC) and Dana Stilley, Ph.D. (FAC, AC)
- Community members: Thomas Donohue (FAC), Constance Francabandera (FAC, AC), Camille Fremont (FAC, AC), Mary Hartnett (FAC, AC) and Dan Lamadrid (FAC, AC)
FAC = Finance Advisory Council member
AC = Audit Committee member